saab forums   saab forums

Go Back   Saab Forums > Main Category > Saab 9-3 / Turbo-X Forum

Saab Forum: 2001 Saab 9-3 Won't Start

Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 AM

Default 2001 Saab 9-3 Won't Start

Hi All,

Please HELP!! So, the other night I was driving home from work. Got 95% of way home, and stopped at store for 3 mins. When I came out, car clicked (one click, not a rapid click) and wouldn't start. Anytime I try to start, the car just gives me a click and nothing else. So, a friend came and jumped me. Car started right up! He followed me home (about 2 miles) and everything was fine. Once I got home, parked the car, turned off, tried to start, and got a 'click' and no start. Let me also add the car had been cranking slow over the past week as I live in the northeast and it is pretty cold! Anyway, I'm thinking it's the battery as I drove home the night the battery died and I got home fine so to me, that means the alternator was giving the battery enough juice to get me home but the battery wasn't holding the juice. Well, I take the battery to AutoZone where I bought the battery 2 years and 1 month ago. They hook up the battery and tell me the battery is 67% charged. They then offered to put on charger for me. So after 20 minutes they take it off their charger, and tell me the battery says it's 100% charged. I am completely perplexed so I take the battery home, put it in the car, and 'click'. Could it be when they "charged the battery", when they tested it, it wasn't under a load like starting an engine!

I still think it sounds like a battery but who knows. Does anyone have any thoughts? Any and all help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks so much.

Jon

Old 12-19-2010, 01:31 AM

Its very possible that the battery has an intermittent short or a dead cell inside that the tester didn't detect.
It could also be a battery cable issue, or a starter issue that was just coincidence that it worked right when it was jumped.

[url="http://www.autolkn.com/saabservice.htm"]Saab repair by [/url][URL="www.autolkn.com"]Auto Specialties of [/URL]