saab forums   saab forums

Go Back   Saab Forums > Main Category > Saab 9-3 / Turbo-X Forum

Notices

Saab Forum: 2009 Saab 9-3T Cold, rough idle

Old 01-07-2015, 12:50 PM

Default 2009 Saab 9-3T Cold, rough idle

I have about 57K miles on the car and it has always ran great. It is hitting 20 degrees F here in Philadelphia and the car has idled rough upon initial start up. The other day, it had a harder time even starting.

I read a lot about valve issues in the earlier models and it looks like the service bulletin was updated to include years 2009-2011.... oh no. The symptoms are similar to what I am experiencing.

Are there any techs out there that have other ideas? I will probably do a compression test over the weekend to see whether all 4 cylinders have good/same compression.

Other ideas? Other experiences with insight?

Thank you

lose weight
Old 01-28-2015, 01:42 PM

I have a '93 900 turbo vert and when it gets cold I usually have to keep the key past start for a couple seconds than norm before letting go and I usually give it some steady gas for about 5-10 seconds then let go and it seems fine (rests about 1,500 rpms). Stay in park for a couple minutes then it's good to go.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:04 PM

I had the dealer do an upper engine head cleaning which is suppose to clean out carbon and fuel rails. The car runs much better
Old 03-30-2015, 09:26 PM

Have you checked the throttle body.
Old 03-31-2015, 05:43 PM

It could be the throttle body. Sometime it will go into limp home mode. There is a YouTube video on how to reset it if is a trionic 7 Maybe this will help you.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:18 AM

The upper engine cleaning really helped. I think that is an important preventive maintenance item that I will do every 50K
Old 04-21-2016, 11:32 AM

As it turns out the engine cleaning did NOT help for the long term. Brought it to cadillac (Saab) dealer and they are saying that the engine head needs to be rebuilt due to valves leaking.

The problem appeared with the check engine light and when they read the code it suggests a misfire on cylinder 1. I had already swapped spark plugs to confirm it isn't the plugs (OEM NGK's) and the dealer verified that the coil is not the problem. $2700 to fix!

Not happy. This is a 2009 with 75K miles
Old 03-10-2017, 12:59 AM

Just an update - had new valves and top end machined. Car starts and runs like new.

North of $2K but dealer that sold me the car (Original cadillac/saab) did the work and was very helpful given the situation.

So far, so great. Love the Saab!